Monday, January 5, 2009

ah, the creative life


Yesterday was Sunday and, lucky me, I got to spend most of the day in my lovely new hibiscus pink sewing room. I hemmed an ABC wallhanging (to add to the literacy-rich environment of storytime) and made a rainbow: bright blue fabric with red/orange/yellow/green/blue/violet grosgrain ribbons and rickrack hanging down (think of a very colorful grass skirt!). I had seen a picture in a decorating book and decided I could make something similar...and I did! It is such fun to experiment with my sewing machine. This morning I made the binding for a Laurel Burch Christmas cat table runner which is waiting to be quilted...I need to make the "sandwich" (backing-batting-pieced top) and quilt it before adding the binding, the last step in the making of a quilt.


So what does this have to do with books? Whenever I quilt, I feel like I'm moving ever closer to making the quilt of my dreams: polka dots in many colors, sizes and patterns held together with lots of black and white. My inspiration is Freddy Moran, a quilter whose mantra is "red is a neutral." She has a wonderful book, heavily illustrated, written with Gwen Marston (another quilter who sews to her own drummer) called Collaborative Quilting. Just thinking about the book makes me smile...and want to run home to my sewing machine and create! The interplay of color and pattern in Freddy's quilts make me happy (I can hear my mother from the next world talking about my gypsy taste...which I inherited from her, the woman who mixed plaids and florals) and I can't wait to make my own brightly colored and patterned quilt.

Now, honestly, looking at Freddy's quilt, isn't it absolutely gorgeous? (The image is taken from www.gregorycase.com by the way.)

No comments: