Wednesday, August 6, 2008

an embarrassment of riches

I can request books over a period of months and all of those requests invariably show up at my library on one day. I am in the midst of one of these situations right now. The book I'm carrying in my purse is The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart. My bedside book is Pirate Wars by Kai Meyer (the last of his Wave Walker trilogy). Waiting to be read are Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing with Fire by Derek Landy; House of Many Ways by the fabulous Diana Wynne Jones (it is another sequel to Howl's Moving Castle); Darkside by Tom Becker (a recommendation from Librarian D.O.A.); The Seer of Shadows by Avi; The Redheaded Princess by Ann Rinaldi. I'm looking ahead to many happy hours stretched out on the sofa (my bed, the floor...) with a book in my hand. Sigh.

As a librarian, I think one of the perks of the job should be a reading week. Since book recommendations are often asked for, we should have a regular block of time when we can just read, read, read. My library manager liked the idea but how to get the powers that be to agree to it. Suggestions, anyone?

No comments: